Probably the most popular Thai dessert is mango and sticky rice which is delicious but can be a bit heavy in the hot Thai summer. This ice-cream take the essence of mango and sticky rice and make them into cool lollies, with the added twist of some Sang Som, Thai rum. This will make about 15 lollipops.
So what do you need?
- 500mls whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. Icing sugar
- 300mls coconut milk (I used the scented dessert variety available in Thailand)
- 400g sweet, coconut milk, sticky rice
- 100mls Sang Som (optional)
- the flesh of 2 medium sized mangoes (about 400g) chopped into small cubes
- small (4oz / 5cms x 5cms) paper cups
- lollipop sticks
So what do you do?
First put the whipping cream in a large bowl and whip it until it fluffs up a little then mix in the icing sugar, coconut milk and rum. Next crumble in the sticky rice and add the mango and stir them in so they are evenly distributed through the cream. Place the paper cups on a try and spoon in the mixture. Put in the freezer and after an hour or two when the ice-cream begins to freeze but is still slightly soft put a lollipop stick in each. Leave for another hour or two until frozen completely. Peel of the paper and enjoy a taste of Thailand!