This is a dish usually made with crab in a creamy Indian style curry sauce, popular in Thai seafood restaurants. It often includes eggs, you can add a couple with the curry powder if you like and you may then need a little less coconut milk.
So what do you need?
- 250g tofu
- 200g sliced mushrooms (oyster mushrooms work well)
- a slice onion
- a small bunch of Chinese celery or a stick of regular celery (chopped finely with the leaves separated)
- a couple of chopped spring onions
- a large sliced red chilli
- a few coriander leaves
- a few curry leaves (optional)
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. mild / medium curry powder
- coconut / vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
So what do you do?
Start by frying the tofu in cubes in about 3 tbsp. of oil, you can use either soft or firm tofu here. Once the tofu has browned a little take it out of the pan and fry the mushrooms and onion in the oil until they begin to brown a little. Then add in the chopped celery stalks, chilli and the curry leaves, if using. Fry and then add the soy sauce and curry powder. Stir fry so everything is coated in the curry then add the coconut milk and reduce to make a thick sauce. Finally, add the celery leaves and spring onions quickly stir fry and then put on a serving plate and garnish with some coriander leaves.